St Giles Celtic Knot The Village Church Banner Text
@ Papanui, Christchurch
The Village Church Credo

Page Button Home
Page Button People
Page Button Worship
Page Button Sermons
Page Button History
Page Button Calendar January
Page Button Notices General
Page Button Gallery
Page Button Groups
Page Button Links
Page Button Contact Us
Page Button Site Map

Page Button History of the Church Page Button History of Church Ministers Page Button Earthquake
History of our Church
2010
     
2002  

St Giles celebrates 125th anniversary.

     
1977  

Windows in front of vestibule added plus cross on top front of church to celebrate 100 years.

     
1972  

Vestibule added.

     
1961  

Extension made to front of church plus lounge to join church to hall.

     
1959  
St Giles Church December 1959
     
1956  

Hall opened.

     
1955  

Foundation stone laid for new hall.

     
1952  

New manse built on Windermere Road.

     
1950  

In Memory Of Plaque
ANZAC placque dedicated 1950

     
1927  

On 10 July 1927 - 50 years was commemorated by a high tea in the Memorial Hall. (Many photos are in the Archives.)

   

Papanui Road Church in 1924
The New Church Papanui Road 1927

     
1926  

Papanui Presbyterian Church name changed to St Giles Presbyterian Church after the High Kirk in Edinburgh.
St. Giles' Cathedral (or the High Kirk of Edinburgh) is a Church of Scotland place of worship, and is sometimes regarded as the mother church of Presbyterianism.
Read More.

     
1924  

Young Mens Bible Class room moved from Main North Road to Papanui Road.

     
1924  

Papanui Presbyterian Church on Papanui Road was completed.

     
1923  
Foundation stone laid for new Church.
     
1917  
Y.M.B.C. room Rev D Rodger driving firsts nail 24 Feb 1917.
     
1903   A manse was built north of the church.
     
1877  
Papanui Presbyterian Church formally opened.
     
1876   Building started on Papanui Presbyterian Church at 135 Main North Road.

 

 

Home | People | Worship | Sermons | History | Calendar | Notices | Gallery | Groups | Links

Contact Us | Site Map

Presbyterian Church Logo

2012 St Giles Presbyterian Church. All Rights Reserved
PO Box 5030, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: 64-3-352 6197



With thanks
Information supplied by Gordon Shields and Jean Dodson.
Bullet 1927 St Giles 50th Anniversary booklet  
Bullet 1977 St Giles Centenary booklet  
Bullet 2002 St Giles 125th Anniversary booklet